Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pre-Hike Update for Day-1

We're excited to start this adventure on Sunday, modest as the hike will be that day.  The forecast is for a high of 70 with patchy fog and sun.  Perfect hiking conditions!

I found a book on Amazon that his out of print, "Day Hikes on The Pacific Crest Trail", and found it used for about $15.  I had seen this book previously online, but folks were wanting up to $300 so I didn't bother getting it.  Now that I have it, I can see that for anyone that is looking to day-hike sections of the PCT that it is a must-have.  There isn't a wealth of information on each hike, but there are gems of advice which will certainly make a difference.  My main guide for planning our hiking is still "Pacific Crest Trail: Mexican Border".   Another book which might be useful because is is more compact and lighter, albeit redundant, is the "Pacific Crest Data Book". We ran into some through-hikers last weekend, up near Idyllwild, who were using this data book as their hiking guide.  They were still alive and smiling, so it must have been working for them so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment